Don’t Be Fooled by a Lab Coat

When selecting a hearing aid provider it is important to do your homework. There are two types of hearing aid providers: audiologists and dispensers. The differences are important!

Happy couple looking for a licensed audiologist

Licensed Audiologists:

  • Have a masters or doctoral degree in Audiology
  • Have the capacity to test, diagnose, and make recommendations based on their findings
  • Are trained in anatomy, physiology, amplification devices, tinnitus, cochlear implants, electrophysiology, acoustics, psychophysics, and auditory rehabilitation

Licensed Hearing Aid Dispensers:

  • Only a high school diploma or equivalent is required
  • Must pass a written exam for practice in PA
  • May only perform a hearing test for the purpose of selling and fitting hearing aids
  • CANNOT make a diagnosis based on test results

Make sure the person you trust with your hearing health care has the proper education, training, and experience you deserve!

Choosing an audiologist isn’t more expensive… just more comprehensive.